Total Marks: 40
Question 1 (25 marks)
Question 2 (15 marks)
As per AOU rules and regulations, all students are required to submit their own TMA work and avoid plagiarism. The AOU has implemented sophisticated techniques for plagiarism detection. You must provide all references in case you use and quote another person’s work in your TMA. You will be penalized for any act of plagiarism as per the AOU’s rules and regulations.
Declaration of No Plagiarism by Student (to be signed and submitted by student with TMA work):
I hereby declare that this submitted TMA work is a result of my own efforts and I have not plagiarized any other person’s work. I have provided all references of information that I have used and quoted in my TMA work.
Name of Student:………………………………..
Question 1: Understanding a research Paper
This question carries 25 marks of this assignment.
Read the following article: “MULTIMODAL BIOMETRICS: AN OVERVIEW By Arun Ross and Anil K. Jain”, Proc. of 12th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO), (Vienna, Austria), pp. 1221-1224, September 2004, which is available in the TMA folder. Then, based on this article or any other resources as well, answer the following questions:
1) In no more than 100 words and using your own words, discuss the main idea of the article. (3 Marks)
2) Define “unimodal biometric systems” and then summarize the problems that are encountered by these systems. (5 Marks)
3) In no more than 150 words and from your understanding of this article or from any other resource and using your own words, discuss the different scenarios that are possible in multimodal biometric systems. (4 Marks)
4) In this article, many modes of operation for multimodal biometric systems were introduced. From your understanding of this article or from any other resource and using your own words, define these modes of operation. (4 Marks)
5) The article had discussed a set of design issues that should be considered when designing a multimodal biometric system. Using your own words, discuss these designing issues. (4 Marks)
· Up to five marks will be allocated for providing proper references with suitable citations for resources used to answer the questions other than the given article.
· Up to five marks will be deducted for English proficiency and writing style.
Question 2: Columnar transposition Encryption
This question carries 15 marks of this assignment.
Two communicating parties have agreed to use a columnar transposition cipher to encrypt their messages. Further, say that they agreed to use the codeword “cable”, and agreed that the transposition is to reverse the order of the letters of the codeword and then swap pairs of letters, starting at the right-hand end. What will be the ciphertext for the message: “wireless communication mode”? Show the encryption process steps clearly through tables.
End of Questions